Getting back on the horse with a quick post thanks to Mark Winteringham’s suggestion. We are working together on an API testing workshop for CASTx17 and it has been a lot of fun. We are trying to showcase the need to marry the technical and business needs when discussing APIs and each of us come to that conversations with a vision on both sides, but he is stronger on the tech implementation side and I am often more focused on the business/usability aspects. This has meant that I am taking the lead on creating the user stories associated with our workshop with his verification of them and he is taking the lead on the API creation while I then test that implementation.
To do this, I muck around in the Chrome Developer tools to figure out how to set the fields value using JQuery. This is very similar to coding with Selenium, but you will definitely need to get used to syntax. Depending on your comfort level with Dev Tools and selectors you may jump past these first few steps, but I have just documented them all in images with captions below.
I find that I create these little bookmarklets a lot on my teams. In this case, I found a defect that using Postman for dataset up would not have exposed. Turns out, when you create the 11th booking through the GUI (the first one that would force a 2nd page), that second page is not created and instead it is listed as one big list of bookings until the page is refreshed.
In other cases, I have used this tool (with a fairly complex script) to replace text on the page with long strings. This was a quick way for me to evaluate the responsiveness of the text. This was valuable given that we had a high percentage of user entered data as well as translations into many languages so we had to be prepared for different length strings.
Hope this helps someone stop entering that same ol’ data into the form just to get started on the more interesting exploring!